Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Looking Forward



I look forward to being older, when what you look like becomes less and less an issue and what you are is the point ~ Susan Sarandon

What are you? Who are you? Does your dream journey take advantage of who you are and what you want to become?

I certainly hope so, otherwise it might not be so fun. I've always had a sense of purpose with job/career. The older I get the more important doing what feels like important work becomes more and more important. That's why I like supporting my physicians during the day at my office job.

That's also why I like writing.  As an LGBT writer, my goal has never been to create an allegorical story or political statement with my novels. I started out writing what I wanted to read:  historical fiction with strong LGBT characters.  With our current political climate and the issue of marriage equality, it's difficult to deny that there are some thematic elements that support equal rights.  I read in the mid-1990s that just being an out gay man at the time was a political statement.  I think it's hard not to be an LGBT writer right now and avoid any thematic messages about marriage equality or other civil rights issues.

As a writer, I try to create stories that are interesting to different types of people.  If just one person who doesn't understand the fight for LGBT equal rights is persuaded by my novel to be open to those discussions, then I have done my job.

What do you look forward to?





______________________________________________________________

Is it possible for two Civil War veterans to find their place in the world on the Kansas Prairie?

When the War Between the States ended in 1865 many Americans emerged from the turmoil energized by their possibilities for the future. Frank Greerson and Gregory Young were no different. After battling southern rebels and preserving the Union, the two men set out to battle the Kansas Prairie and build a life together. Frank yearned for his own farm, away from his family—even at the risk of alienating them. Gregory, an only child, returned home to claim his inheritance to help finance their adventure out west.

Between the difficult work of establishing a farm on the unforgiving Kansas prairie, and the additional obstacles provided by the weather, Native Americans and wild animals, will their love and loyalty be enough to sustain them through the hardships?

Purchase A Place to Call Their Own from Musa Publishing today!

Then request an Authorgraph, an electronic inscription, from me.

Join the conversation:  use #APTCTO to talk about the novel on social media!

No comments:

Post a Comment