Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Little Novel That Could



I could not at any age, be content to take my place in a corner by the fireside and simply look on ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Two years ago, I was basking in the glow of my first contract, getting ready to enter my first round of editing. Caught by surprise on Thomas’s birthday in 2013, Musa Publishing offered me a contract for A Place to Call Their Own. I had actually given up on my first manuscript and was working on polishing Disappear With Me in hopes that I could get better reception on that manuscript. In the end, APTCTO came through and hit the market first. APTCTO holds a special place in my heart. It’s my first novel, written during Thomas and I’s early years together. It’s very much an allegory of our lives at the time.

When I got my rights back at the beginning of March, I immediately set to work on polishing Disappear With Me. With advice from some writer friends, I attacked my WIP to do list starting from the least work need to the most. I sent Disappear With Me off two weeks ago, and still have not heard on that submission.

But, APTCTO, the little novel that keeps on going, was accepted today by JMS Books!  Once again, my little tale of two Civil War vets going west after the war will be the launch (in this case, a relaunch) of my publishing career with an expected release date in May sometime!

I have never given APTCTO the credit it deserves. Not just one, but twice it seems it’s the hands down favorite of others who believe in it the value of its story. Thanks JMS Books!

Here’s a reminder of what APTCTO is about:

Frank Greerson and Gregory Young have been discharged from the Army and are headed to their childhood homes. They both defied their parents in 1861 when they joined the Army. After battling southern rebels and preserving the Union of the United States of America, the two men set out to battle the Kansas Prairie and build a life together. Once they find their claim, they encounter common obstacles to life on the Kansas Prairie in 1866:  Native Americans, tornadoes, wild animals, and weather.

When a prairie fire destroys their crops and takes their neighbor’s lives, Frank and Gregory are instructed to find their young son’s aunt. Faced with leaving a destroyed claim, the railroad coming through their land, and dwindling funds, Frank and Gregory must decide whether to leave the place they have worked hard to make their own or fulfill their friends' dying wish. Is it possible for the two veterans to find their place in the world on the Kansas Prairie?

Here’s a link to check out JMS Books:



http://www.jms-books.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment