Monday, May 23, 2011

Disaster Hits Very Close to Home



Last night, an EF 4 tornado ripped through Joplin, MO.  Thomas and I lived in Joplin for a year and a half before landing in KCMO last year. 

It has been a mixed blessing to sit in my living room in Kansas City and watched the news coverage of the situation.  Even more heartbreaking, and soothing at the same, is reading all the Facebook posts.  It's heartbreaking to hear about the devastation and loss.  It's soothing to hear that friends and previous co-workers are safe.

Yesterday, I posted one brief question, "Are living a life that bears witness to all that is good and grand in this world?" This morning, that message continues to resonate with me as hundreds of friends start to rebuild their lives and I sit safe in my living room typing this post.

My partner, Thomas, has set up disaster relief fund for our friends in Joplin.  If you're local, we'll take the pennies in your penny jar, pocket change, etc.  We'll get those donations directly to our old church in Joplin.

If you're not local, The Heart of Missouri United Way has set up a donation link from their home page, specifically for the Joplin area.


http://www.uwheartmo.org/

I chose the picture above because it reminds me of the beauty that was Joplin before the tornado hit.  Thank you so much for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment