Saturday, February 25, 2012

It's OK to Say No



It comes from saying 'no' to 1000 things to make sure we don't get on the wrong track or try to do too much ~ Steve Jobs

I hope your dream journey is going well.  I have been off the work-job all week, so I've made some real strides on my novel, A Place to Call Their Own.  For those of you who might me new to my blog, I have set a goal to be finished writing the first draft by August 30, so I can start editing and start looking at publishing options before the end of the year.  Things are moving along very well, I hit 50,000 words this week, which feels great to be this far so close to the first milestone, completing the first draft.

Along the way, I've had to say no to some different opportunities that have come up along the way.  Most of what I say no to is myself.  I have to keep telling myself, focus on my writing, on my novel and nothing else.  Earning a living from writing is my goal and I have to stay focused.

Sometimes I have to say no to other writing projects.  In addition to A Place to Call Their Own, I have notes and ideas for eight other novels and two non-fiction books.  Sometimes, I just have to have get my inspiration typed out, just to get it out of my head.  I take a brief, one or two day break, type up my notes and the scenes that I'm inspired to write and then put them aside.  Sometime these breaks help me brainstorm some more story lines for the primary work in progress.

Sometimes you only have to say no temporarily or you can postpone the opportunity that is calling.  If you can spend some time on your dream journey now to be rewarded with more time later, readjust your priorities to help say 'yes' sometime in the future.

Whatever your dream journey, you will have to make sacrifices to reach your goal.  Some of those sacrifices will be permanent and some may be temporary.  Stick to your priorities and you'll reach your dream goal.

What are some things you've been happy to give up to reach your dream goal?  I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment