Saturday, August 3, 2013

Don't Stop at the Beginning



When it comes to exploring your creative side, it's very easy to think of all the reasons you can't do it--you don't have the time, you don't have the money, etc.--but if you are truly passionate about expressing yourself, you can find a way. When you feel as though you can't do something, the simple antidote is action: Begin doing it. Start the process, even if it's just a simple step, and don't stop at the beginning. Take the next step and the next until what you've dreamed about becomes a reality ~ Marcus Buckingham


When I decided I was going to write a novel, I just sat down and started writing.  I had my characters in mind and I knew generally what the plot would be about (the beginning, the majority of the novel, and how it would end). I had not studied the fiction writing process, I had not studied the world of publishing.  That was 2008 and how times have changed in just five years!

But I had passion and that was to write my story.  Along the way, I learned how to craft my story into an appealing work of fiction.  I also learned (through research and the hard way, LOL) about the world of publishing and changes taking place within it. I didn't stop at the beginning and kept going. It took me four years to complete the first draft and another year to see it published, but it's done.

My advice if you want to do something is just start doing it knowing what you do know. Anything you need to learn can be picked up along the way.

When you jump into a new task or goal, do you jump in and do it or do you research before you start?



______________________________________________________________

Is it possible for two Civil War veterans to find their place in the world on the Kansas Prairie?
 
When the War Between the States ended in 1865 many Americans emerged from the turmoil energized by their possibilities for the future. Frank Greerson and Gregory Young were no different. After battling southern rebels and preserving the Union, the two men set out to battle the Kansas Prairie and build a life together. Frank yearned for his own farm, away from his family—even at the risk of alienating them. Gregory, an only child, returned home to claim his inheritance to help finance their adventure out west.

Between the difficult work of establishing a farm on the unforgiving Kansas prairie, and the additional obstacles provided by the weather, Native Americans and wild animals, will their love and loyalty be enough to sustain them through the hardships?

Purchase A Place to Call Their Own from Kobo today!

Then request an Authorgraph, an electronic inscription, from me.

Join the conversation:  use #APTCTO to talk about the novel on social media!



No comments:

Post a Comment