Saturday, August 30, 2014

A Point on Which the Soul May Fix




Nothing contributes so much to tranquilize the mind as a steady purpose, a point on which the soul may fix its intellectual eye ~ Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

When I am not busy, sometimes it feels like I don’t get a lot done. For example, I am a big procrastinator, so quick five minute things constantly get shoved to “I’ll do it later this week,” or “another time.” Then, I feel like I’m rushing to get stuff done, like make a grocery shopping list, just in the nick of time. Do you ever feel that way?
I love the act of actually writing a manuscript. What I have figured out about his task is because there is a word count goal that is associated with this task. I can actually measure the amount of work that gets done each day towards my ultimate goal of finishing a novel. Where I get tripped up on is the editing/polishing part. Not only is it harder to quantify the task, but by the time I’m polishing, I don’t read what I’ve written, I read what I think it should say.
By keeping my mind on the end goal, a manuscript ready for publication, I learn to balance not only my time but also perfect may art. I seem to do that better on a deadline, even if it is self imposed.
What about you, do you better on deadlines, self-imposed or those imposed by other restrictions? I’d love to hear!


_______________________________________________



Is it possible fora two Civil War veterans to find their place in the world on the Kansas Prairie?
 
My first novel, A Place to Call Their Own is available from Musa Publishing!



Love is greater than hope or faith, but can Reverend Leander Norris convince a jury that the love he shares with another man is natural? 

My latest novel, Disappear With Me is available from Musa Publishing!




Then request an Authorgraph, an electronic inscription, from me.




Use #APTCTO and #disappearwithme to discuss on social media!

No comments:

Post a Comment