Thursday, February 13, 2014

Much More Urgent



When Thomas Edison worked late into the night on the electric light, he had to do it by gas lamp or candle. I'm sure that made the work seem that much more urgent ~ George Carlin

How about being a published author without a WIP in the self-editing process? That makes my work seem much more urgent.

And maybe that's why writing is flowing so well right now. I have had my outline done for quite some time so I know exactly where the story needs to go. After figuring out some rough spots, I've been writing 1000 words per day consistently since January 16. At this rate, I should be done with the first draft in March sometime. Maybe sooner if it doesn't end up being the full 100k words I originally thought it would be.

The excitement of achieving this goal is actually helping me, not hindering me. Last Thursday, I only got 700 words written before it was time to go to work. After working all day and then doing the biweekly grocery shopping trip, it didn't happen Thursday night. But I got up on Friday and wrote 1300 words and got myself caught up. I'm in too good of a groove to slack off now.

When was the last time you were under some good pressure to reach a goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment