Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Calm White Page




[Writing is] being able to take something whole and fiercely alive that exists inside you in some unknowable combination of thought, feeling, physicality, and spirit, and to then store it like a genie in tense, tiny black symbols on a calm white page ~ Mary Gaitskill

Being a dreamer is also like taking your thoughts, feelings, physicality, and spirit and storing it in your work.

There are about six weeks left of the year.  For some, you've met your goals and you can glide through the holidays pretty easily.  For others, Thanksgiving is the time that the busy season begins through the end of the year.

Whatever the season brings for you, I hope you make the most of it.  If there is still time for you to meet your goals, I wish you the best of the luck.  I feel very fortunate and humble to have exceeded my goals for 2012.  I finished my first novel, A Place to Call Their Own.  After some editing and feedback I am ready to send it to an editor. 

But I exceeded even my own expectations by completing the first draft of a second novel, Disappear With Me.  I am ready to start my own round of self editing and then it should be ready for submissions or self publication next year as well. 

I haven't figured out my goals exactly for 2013, you'll have to keep in tune.  I am very happy with what I've accomplished this year.

Did your 2012 go as planned?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on meeting your goals - what a great accomplishment!

    I did not meet my goals of sending out my manuscript, but am pretty satisfied with what I did. I finished my manuscript and have gotten through the first set of edits. I now have to determine 2013's goals.

    Good luck on your 2013 goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila, thanks for the great comment. This is the third year in a row I had the same goal, to finish the first manuscript. I finally did it.

    Good luck with your 2013 goals!

    ReplyDelete