Thursday, November 8, 2012

Change the World into Words



True alchemists do not change lead into gold; they change the world into words ~ William H. Gaas

We are truly living in historic times.  On Tuesday night, President Obama was re-elected.  The state of Wisconsin not only didn't vote for their home-state candidate, but also elected the first openly gay senator.  Three states approved marriage equality laws, striking down a conservative belief that marriage equality in other states was the result of liberal bias in state legislatures and courts.

I remember reading history books and stories as a kid and wondering if I would ever experience the wonderful things that I was reading about:  the westward expansion, the rise of the millionaires during the Gilded Age, Prohibition, wars, sweeping social change.  It pleases me to report to you that I, indeed, feel like I am living during wonderful times as well.

I hope you feel the same way and I hope you are pursuing a career or other goal that attributes somehow to a legacy that most of us want to leave behind.  Then you, too, can leave behind a piece of yourself to be remembered about the historic times in which we are living.

No comments:

Post a Comment