Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Book Review: Rainwater



Sandra Brown's Rainwater is a story set in 1934 Texas during the Great Depression.  Rainwater refers to David Rainwater who comes to stay at Ella Barron’s boardinghouse.  He is terminally ill and his doctor suggests he stay at the boardinghouse in his final days.  After his stay, he changes Ella’s life forever. 

I think the first thing that hooked me on this book is that it’s written as a memoir.  The novel is a retelling of the story by a character in the present.  It’s very intriguing to continue reading to figure out who is telling the story. 

I was also drawn to its setting in the 1930s.  I don’t know if it’s the current economic condition, but I am enthralled with the 1930s.  Of course, Boardwalk Empire and Mildred Pierce on HBO help fuel my desire to know more about life in the 1930s.     One of my works in progress is set during the 1930s, thought it will focus on Hollywood in the 1930s.

If you like historical stories, you’ll like Rainwater.

No comments:

Post a Comment