Tuesday, April 5, 2011

You Can't Use Up Creativity



You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have.
Maya Angelou

Yesterday was Maya Angelou's birthday.  When I read this quote, I knew that she was speaking directly to me.  This is much like the Abundance principle taught by Stephen Covey in The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People or Rhonda Byrne in The Secret.  If you use your creativity, you gain more.  This is a hard lesson I’ve learned in the last two weeks.

I’ve said before in this forum that I used to worry about running out of interesting things to blog about.  However, I knew I needed to figure out how to make this become a daily routine to help my writing career blossom.  So I took a leap of faith a couple of weeks ago and just started blogging on a daily basis.

I have to share, I feel pretty proud of myself.   I’ve made a blog entry every day for the last two weeks, sans a couple of weekend days (My weekend days, which are Fridays and Saturdays to most of you).  And, I know that I’m supposed to post something every day, and that successful writers don’t take days off.  I also understand the importance of blogging every day and how that helps my fiction writing.  I’m getting there.  This week I am two posts ahead of schedule which should help with this issue.  I have also started reaching out to some colleagues and asking for guest blogs.  Now that I have a small following on Twitter and the blog itself, I know that there are supporters out there looking forward to my daily post. 

One thing that has helped me create an entry is reviewing/reflecting on the recent books I’ve read myself.  That has brought easy, immediate topics.  I have about a year’s worth of good reading to talk about.  Another easy topic has been the television programs I’ve been watching, that are worth blogging about.  Right now, the most noteworthy is Oprah and her episodes she did herself on Master Class.

Previously, I thought that non-fiction writers had an easier job of coming up with daily blog topics.  Now I know that fiction writers can come up with them just as well.  So, if you’re an aspiring writer like me, trying to build a platform, just start blogging.  Blog about whatever comes to mind:  the latest book you’ve read, TV show you’ve watched, or event that you attended.  As plain and simple as it may be, there are supporters out there who are interested in what you have to say.  Go for it!

If you’re new to blogging/writing, do you feel the same way?  If you’ve been at this a while, would you agree?  I’d love your comment either way!  Have a great day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment