Saturday, July 14, 2012

Milking a Cow



All the really good ideas I ever had came to me while I was milking a cow ~ Grant Wood

After I decided that it was time to start writing my first novel, A Place to Call Their Own, it took me months to figure out what I would write about.  I found my inspiration while reading on a rather ordinary day.  It was late spring and I was trying to get some early sun.

For my second novel, Disappear With Me, I found some inspiration from an obscure part of movie that I was watching, but it wasn't until I was sitting in church one day that the story came to me.  The music, the lesson, the environment of the day just grabbed me.  I ran home from church that afternoon and started putting together the rough outline for the novel.  That rough outline is now nearly forty pages long and I am probably eighty percent done writing the initial draft.

My point is, along with the quote, is that inspiration can come from anywhere.  Inspiration and ideas about your dream journey can come from anything that you observe and experience, you just have to open your ears and hearts to take in the experiences being presented.

What ideas have you had lately that came to you in some ordinary environments?  I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment