Thursday, May 3, 2012

In Order to Understand




First, I do not sit down at my desk to put into verse, something that is already clear in my mind.  If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it.  We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand ~ Cecil Day-Lewis

I watched the movie A Room With a View last week, doing some research for a WIP.  I found out that Cecil Day-Lewis is actor Daniel Day-Lewis’ father, so it was cool to run across this quote for today’s blog post.

The key thought that jumps out at me is that he says we don’t write to be understood, but to understand.  I think that is so true of any profession, creative or otherwise.  We do what we do to understand something different about our field or even ourselves.

Direct sales companies are great examples of men and women who achieve tremendous personal growth while building successful direct sales networks.  Every company I belonged to had examples of successful individuals who built themselves from the ground up.  If you have seen the movie, Fried Green Tomatoes, you know that Kathy Bates’ character goes through a transformation throughout the movie.  Part of that transformation is becoming a successful Sales Director within the Mary Kay organization.

And I know I am understanding so much more as I finish writing my first novel and start writing the next one.  I have learned a lot about crafting a good story and the publishing industry itself.  The fun part is getting to learn a lot more about the historical subjects I am researching for the novels.

What about you?  What have you learned or what are you learning about in your dream journey?  I’d love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment