Saturday, September 22, 2012

Don't Water It Down



Don't bend; don't water it down, don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion.  Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly ~ Franz Kafka

Sometimes figuring out what exactly your dream journey is meant to be is the hard part.  But once it is revealed to you, you much follow it like an obsession and like Frank Kafka says, mercilessly.

I'm working through this right now.  Those who follow me regularly know what I have finished writing my first novel, A Place to Call Their Own, and am looking for publication options.  Well, this week I heard from the balance of my initial prospects and am sad to say, that no one has taken me up on my offer.  Don't worry, I'm OK.  I know it goes with the territory.

A few weeks ago, based on a publisher's advice I started re-writing the manuscript and that was very scary for me.  With just a little bit of direction and a lot of fear, I waded in the shallow end of re-writing/editing.  After I figured out what the notes meant to me, I dove right into the deep end and am about halfway done with the rewrite.

So you see, I know deep down in my heart that the story I have to tell is publishable.  I just have to mold into a marketable novel so that someone can help me give it to the world.  And that is my obsession that I'm pursuing mercilessly right now.

What obsession are your pursuing right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment