Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Meet and Greet


 
I am participating in Gear Up to Get an Agent (GUTGAA) this week.  Today's blogpost is a list of questions of each of has to answer as part of the meet and greet blogfest.  Here goes.

1.  Where do you write?

I write in my home office on my computer or on my iPad.

2.  Quick - Go to your writing sapce, sit down, and look to your left.  What is the first thing you see.

A picture of Thomas and I.

3.  Favorite time to write?

I always do my writing in the morning when I'm most fresh.  Sometimes, if I get a brainstorm later in the day or into the night, I will pound out 250-300 words on a great idea.  After I get that initial idea out of my head, I'm able to relax and work on the idea later.

4.  Drink of choice while writing?

I drink coffee in the morning and then switch to flavored water after the coffee gone.

5.  When writing, do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?

I watch TV, mostly "The Today Show."

6.  What was the inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?

This is a difficult question for me to answer, so I'm going to answer it the long way.  A Place to Call Their Own, my first manuscript, is inspired by a visit to Pea Ridge National Military Park. Disappear with Me, my second manuscript, was inspired by music at church one Sunday morning.  My third manuscript, The Higher Law, is inspired by The Great Gatsby.  I just started The Higher Law and have put it aside to continue to put some finished touches on A Place to Call Their Own.

7.  What's your most valuable writing tip?

Develop the routines that work for you, no matter your research tells you.  For example, most people advise aspiring writers to blog every day.  I could never get a daily blog post accomplished.  So I figured out I could do a post on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.  Once I figured that out, I only missed one blog post.  So even though I don't post every day, I post four consistent days per week.

Thanks to all the new readers checking me out through this process.

12 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you! I read your About Me, and just wanted to mention that in my current WIP that I'm pitching for GUTGAA, one of my character arcs touches on sexual identity. My book is YA, a thriller/light fantasy/wilderness survival story that doesn't necessarily lend itself to this... and that's exactly why I included it. It's not an "obvious" lesson and I don't stand on a soapbox, but every small mention helps break down walls, right? Good luck with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Jeannette! Good luck to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I could never blog that much! I am in awe. I just gave birth to my blog in August and I'm still figuring out how to feed it and change its diapers (not literally of course). I wish you luck if you're doing the pitch part of GUTGAA. Places inspire my work too. Come by and say hi if you get a chance.
    http://rhiannwynnnolet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, Rhiann. If you look at my history, I just figured out my key to consistent posting in February. But now I have a schedule and "deadlines" and I make sure I get my four posts per week done. Sometimes I might do a post on an "off" day if I have special news to share or in this case, the Meet and Greet post needed to be complete early in the week. Good luck with your writing endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dean,

    Just dropping by to say hi, nice to meet you, too!

    Your tip is a good one... routine, routine, routine. When it comes to both writing and blogging about it. Usually I blog when I'm inspired to say something, but to your point, by following a routine and blogging regardless, you force yourself to find inspiration.

    I'm looking forward to see more of your work during GUTGAA!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dean,
    Nice to meet you. I tried writing with my iPad. Hate it. I type faster than it can think. I admire your blog schedule. That's something I need to work on. Have fun with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fondest Hellos Dean!

    So nice to meet you via GUTGAA! Crystal smooth blog! I can almost smell the coffee!

    I like your comment about blogging NOT every day....all for 'less pressure' to clear the mind! Now THAT is an Rx for Happiness!

    Dr Margaret Aranda
    www.drmargaretaranda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by John, Romelle, and Dr. Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saying hello from GUTGAA! That's great that you can write in the morning--you must be a morning person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Cynthia...it's the most productive time for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by through GUTGAA! Nice to meet you and best wishes this month. You manuscripts sound like something I would read...

    Talynn #28

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by, Talynn, good luck to you as well!

    ReplyDelete