Sunday, February 3, 2013

Leaving Things Undone



Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone ~ Lin Yutang

Do you ever rush around trying to get everything done, being super-mom or super-dad at home, super-employee at work, overachiever with your peers on your dream journey?

Do you ever wish you could just leave one or two things undone and leave it for the next day?  Why don't you?

Although I've been coached all my life to just get things done today, by parents, managers, etc, there is a certain beauty in my writing of leaving just a little bit for the next day.  Whenever I am actively writing, I stop at my writing goal for the day.  Even if the words are flowing out of my fingertips, I stop when I reach my goal.  Why? 

Because then the ideas continue to marinate in my mind and my writing gets better the next day.  Even when I was in sales, I stopped at the number of phone calls/sales activities I made for the day.  Again, even if my last three calls were bookings, recruit interviews, or sales, I stopped.  Why?

Because the next time I made my calls, I was even hungrier to get on the phone and make my calls.  Leaving things undone has definitely made me more excited to get back to the task and more creative when I return the task.

Are you able to leave things undone for the sake of excitement and creativity?

No comments:

Post a Comment