Saturday, April 7, 2012

You Want a Piece of Me?



The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying, “Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses.”  She’s a got a baseball cap and yelling, “You want a piece of me?” ~ Robin Williams

Doesn’t the image of the Statue of Liberty yelling that at someone make you chuckle?  At least a bit?  Come on you can admit, it’s funny!

I think what makes that image funny for me is the fact that we always picture the Statue of Liberty as the stately lady she is, guarding the New York Harbor.  But it’s nice to think about her in more modern terms, using vernacular current with today’s pop culture.

Achieving your dream goal is a bit like buying into Robin William’s modern day image of the Statue of Liberty.  Sometimes we have to do things differently than we’ve ever had to them before to reach and achieve our dreams. For example, if you told me a year ago I’d be working in a doctor’s office, I would have told you you’re crazy.  But things happen and here I am working for a group of seven doctors.  I don’t come in until later in the afternoon, so I have a big chunk of my day that I can devote to my creativity.  And I don’t have to get up at the crack of dawn to do it, like it did with my other job.

The growth we experience from our dream goals will be different for each of us.  But through this change, we’ll achieve our dreams and goals and should become better people for doing so.

What change have you implemented this year or what growth have you experienced so far?  I’d love to hear your stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment