Sunday, April 29, 2012

Dare to Believe



Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside of them was superior to circumstance ~ Bruce Barton

You have to believe that you are destined for great things.  That can be tough, I know.  We grow with well-meaning people constantly trying to give us advice about our lives and vocations.  Sometimes when things get tough it’s hard to believe ourselves that we can overcome some of the obstacles that we face.

The biggest part of a dream journey sometimes is the personal growth you can experience.  I can’t believe that a year ago I was lamenting because writing 250 words a day and this year I am easily hammering out about 800 words per day, easily.  I think this creative energy is coming from three different places.

First of all, my current WIP is better outlined and brainstormed than my first project, A Place to Call Their Own.  I have some very good notes about what is going to happen and that makes writing each scene and each chapter easier. 

The second source of energy fueling my productivity is confidence with myself that I can write 5000 words in a week.   Back in February I took a week off of work and was able to meet that word count total that week.  The next week, I was shocked when I did again, after working 40+ hours.  And then I did it again another week, and another.  In fact, I think the only week since the end of February I haven’t written that many words was the first week here at my new job when I worked a different schedule.  Now it’s a habit and personal expectation that I achieve that goal each week.

My final source of creative energy is coming from confidence with myself that I actually wrote a novel!  A Place to Call Their Own is my first full length novel.  It’s completely written and I am in the final stages of editing it right now.  Hopefully it will be ready for some beta readers soon.

If you would have told me even a year ago that I’d be writing 5000 words per week, consistently, I would never have believed you.  But I proved it to myself I could do it and now I do it consistently. 

I hope you can find some pearl of useful information in my posts about my writing.  If you’re not a writer, I hope you’re able to draw parallels on your personal dream journey.  I hope everyone has a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment