Saturday, June 2, 2012

Don't Worry About What You're Going to Get



My father used to say to me, "Show 'em what you can do, and don't worry abut what you're gonna get.  Say you'll work for free and make yourself invaluable." ~ Clint Eastwood

I have lived with the principle of making myself invaluable in my career really my entire life.  It really sunk in about fifteen years ago.  That's also when I stopped asking how much new jobs paid, whether they were just different jobs within my same company or they were with a new company. 

If you're pursuing a creative dream, like I am, this is very much the same.  As any writer will tell you, you have to toil away day after day, night after night, working the writing around a full time job and familial obligations.  But just like anything worth doing, it's very worth it to me to do it for free for a bit until I can attempt to parlay that into a full time career.

With the new season of America's Got Talent just starting, this quote also makes me think of most creative pursuits.  If one loves something, you'll keep on doing it, no matter how one fairs in contests or commercially.  If you work hard enough, one day the rewards one is looking for will pay off.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!  Let the summer begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment