Tuesday, April 23, 2013

One Stone at a Time



The best way to move a mountain is one stone at a time.  Nothing is insurmountable if you take one step before you take the next ~ Ed and Deb Shapiro

I remember doing a group interview for a job and once of the interviewers asked me, "How do you move mountains?"  My answer was, "One stone at a time." 

Whenever you have a daunting task ahead, dream goal or otherwise, it's always easier to break things down into smaller steps and goals.  Even when I quit smoking, I celebrated all my little milestones:  each day until it was a week.  Each week until it was a month.  Then one month became three, three became six, six became nine, and finally I was celebrating my first year smoke free.  I just just celebrated sixteen years smoke free.

I recently went through this exercise with my manuscript, Disappear with Me.  I want it ready for submission in June.  I counted the weeks until then and the number of pages left to edit.  I now have a daily and weekly goal of pages that need editing to have the manuscript ready for submission in June.

Tell me about time you had a big goal and how you broke it down?

No comments:

Post a Comment