Sunday, August 26, 2012

Have You Gone Back to School Yet?



I had the honor of giving the Children's Sermon in church today and wanted to share it with you.  Enjoy!

So I had planned for some children to be here and I thought I would open with something like, has school started yet? And since it’s been a while since I’ve spoken like this in front of any group, I feel the need to start the same way for fear of losing myself in my notes, sooo has school started yet?

No, I didn’t think so, but I had to ask or my notes would be out of order!   I’ve been long overdue to get into graduate school so hopefully in a year or two I might be able to answer yes to that question.

But regardless of whether or not anyone present today is going back to school, I just wanted to share with everyone how much love the month of August.  For me August feels a bit like the New Year.  After the weather starts cooling off, I just feel a bit more productive than during the warm summer months.  For me, this is probably because my father was a high school teacher so for many years, our town hosted the annual county fair, and my mother's birthday is in August, so it's no wonder that August was like the New Year for my family.    I started my first full time job August 1, 1990 and then exact four years later on August 1, 1994 I was transferred to Colorado with that job and since then it like many of my major career and life changes have happened during this time of year.

It didn't take me long to figure out most adults look at our lives during January, during the New Year, when most of us make goals or resolutions for what we'd like to accomplish for the year.   For me, God's gift of the changing season means that we still have four months left of this year to accomplish your New Year resolutions.  And that’s why they’ are called New Year resolutions, because we have the whole year to accomplish them.  So think of the end of summer like it’s like the beginning of first semester and you have until Christmas break to get your goals accomplished!  That’s my challenge for everyone this week.

Now if  you think that these notes seem to be speaking mainly to adults rather than to elementary schoold-aged children, that's because we rarely have children in church.  So we call the Children's Sermon the time for all God's Children at Central Presbyterian.

Have a great week, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment