Thursday, August 30, 2012

The First Couple of Years



The first couple of years you make stuff, it's just not that good. It's trying to be good, it has potential, but it's not.  A lot of people never get past this phase; they quit. If you are just starting out or are still in this phase, you gotta know that it's normal and the most important thing you can do is a lot of work...It's only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions ~ Ira Glass

I ran across this quote this week and it spoke volumes to me.  It's exactly what I needed to hear right now.  I am in the midst of completely re-writing my first novel and preparing it for a possible publisher. 

I knew that the beginning of the novel needed some work, I was just stuck on how to adjust the beginning of the story to make it all work out in the end.  I also finally figured that out over the weekend and now am well on my way to getting the manuscript massaged and in shape for future publication.

If you think about, any job or task you undertake takes a couple of years to get really good at it.  I remember the first couple of years of being a corporate trainer.  After a couple of years, things just got easier and I did better. 

So, whenever you feel like you want to quit your dream journey, listen to the voice that tells you to keep on going.  Eventually you'll start producing the real work that you believe can.

No comments:

Post a Comment