Saturday, March 30, 2013

Luck



I believe luck is preparation meeting opportunity.  If you hadn't been prepared when the opportunity came along, you wouldn't be lucky ~ Oprah Winfrey

I love this quote by Oprah Winfrey and yesterday I was reminded that I always need to be prepared.

Last Wednesday, I joined a weekly writer's critique group.  I found them on a Writer's Meet Up web site and when I saw that they meet on Wednesday mornings, I jumped at the opportunity to join them.  And I was prepared with my piece for the day.  But what I didn't have with me were business cards.

When I sold Tupperware and other product through party planning companies, I was taught to always have business cards and catalogs with me at all times.  I usually did and met people all the time who wanted my products, did parties, or even joined me in the company.  But why did I forget that yesterday and on one other occasion I networked with other writers?  I am out of practice.

When I was a manager who interviewed people, one of my favorite questions was "Do you consider yourself lucky?"  My favorite answer was something along the lines of "I create my own luck," or "I feel blessed."

What are you doing to create your own luck?

No comments:

Post a Comment