Thursday, March 21, 2013

With Each Step You Grow Stronger



Don't wait until everything is just right [...] There will always be challenges, obstacles, and less than perfect conditions.  So what.  Get started now.  With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger ~ Mark Victor Hansen

Five years ago, I sat down at the computer with a couple of characters and their adventure in my mind.  I didn't know a thing about novel writing.  It had been years since I had even read a fiction book, let alone study it for style or structure.  But I pressed along anyway, knowing that one day I would finish that novel.  Now, A Place to Call Their Own is scheduled to be released in July by Musa Publishing.

Had I waited to learn a bit more about writing a novel, I might not have ever jumped in.  The only thing about the process I do regret is not having an outline until I was nearly finished.  As I was struggling to bring the novel to a close, I brainstormed on the plot points.  Once I had that figured out, it took only a month to finish the last quarter to a third of the first draft.  I learned a lot more along the way and with those lessons, I was able to complete my second draft in only four months.

I'd love to hear about a task or project that you jumped right into without much preparation and how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment