Saturday, March 9, 2013

Trapped in Amber



Some of my old memories feel trapped in amber in my brain, lucid and burning, while others are like the wing beat of a hummingbird, an intangible, ephemeral blur ~ Mira Bartok

Along the dream journey there are going to be some good memories and some bad memories.  Hopefully you'll have more good than bad. 

Hopefully one day you will be able to laugh at some of the bad memories.  I'll never forget the time when I started selling Tupperware and I first used a garlic press.  I didn't know a clove was just a part of the bulb.  When the taco recipe I was using called for one clove, I used six and then stopped thinking that was a lot of garlic.  And boy, were those some garlicy tacos that night!

And I'll never forget the first full day when I quit smoking.  After work that day, I knew at that moment I would never smoke again.  Now sixteen years later, I can say I haven't smoked in sixteen years.

Most recently, I still relish the day that I got the email from Musa Publishing expressing interest in my manuscript.  I'll never forget that euphoria of reading and rereading those words over and over again that night and sharing them with friends and family. 

What memories, good or funny, do you have trapped in amber in your brain?

No comments:

Post a Comment