Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Your True Creativity



If you are unhappy with anything - get rid of it.  Because you will find that when you are free, your true creativity, your true self comes out ~ Tina Turner

If you're working on a dream goal and working full time in another job, you might be able to relate to this quote like I do.  For four years, I struggled with balance between writing every day and keeping the novel moving forward.  When work got busy or stressful, as you can imagine, my writing and creativity were stifled.

Last year about this time, I made a major change.  An opportunity came up for me like no other.  On a leap of faith, I took another job with different hours.  And what a difference that has made.

If you have followed me over the year, you probably know I work 1 PM to 9 PM.  I get up every morning by 7 AM, workout, and then write each morning. After writing I still find plenty of time to catch up on my DVR and spend time with my partner.  More importantly, I finished my first novel, and wrote a second novel from beginning to end. I edited the first novel and submitted it to countless small publishers and agents.  Now, in July, A Place to Call Their Own will be published by Musa Publishing.

I really don't know if I would have gotten all that accomplished had I continued working a traditional schedule.  Every day I tried to get up at 5 AM to get all that accomplished before going to work and every day I hit snooze until I absolutely had to get up.  By cutting out a negative in my life - a schedule that didn't work for my writing cycle - I've moved my writing career in the direction I want.

Have you cut out any unhappiness in your creative life recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment